roman empire timeline

If you see any display errors, please let us know: community-feedback@swissinfo.ch. The French pair salvaged one match point at 13-14 in the deciding set and it was Clement's serve that finally crumbled in the 36th and final game. Still, this was all they could do, with Wawrinka and Federer scoring a break in the fourth game of the fourth set to keep the advantage until the end and earn Olympic glory. “Roger Federer taught me a lot” – Stan Wawrinka. Roland Garros day 15 recap: Rafael Nadal rewrites history! At the Summer Olympics in Beijing, Federer lost in the quarterfinals to James Blake for the … Federer however, finally won his first Olympic gold medal in the men's doubles, when he and compatriot Stanislas Wawrinka upset the world no. "He will surely sleep well tonight.". In the second set, the momentum was still on the side of the Swiss pair, who again broke Aspelin and Johansson in the third game of the second set. After a surprising loss to Tomas Berdych in Athens 2004, Roger Federer came to Beijing Olympics as one of the favorites to win the men's singles gold medal, only to be denied by James Blake in the quarter-final. Please use a modern web browser for a better experience. Federer, serving superbly and constantly attacking at the net, combined with fellow Swiss Stanislaw Wawrinka for a 7-6 6-4 victory that could give him the gold that has eluded him in a glittering career. Simon and I could have gone on for a couple more hours. I grew up being a team player and always have been, I love team competition: basketball, soccer; it's always something I've enjoyed doing. Roland Garros day 15 recap: Rafael Nadal rewrites history! Wawrinka managed to win three Slams in the Big 3 era, as well as reaching the third position of the ATP ranking. Bolt breaks world record to win men's 100m gold. Aug 14, 2008 Journalists, athletes, officials and Chinese Federer... SWI swissinfo.ch - a branch of Swiss Broadcasting Corporation SRG SSR. I had to go through quite a few second serves to win the game, which made it even harder. "Male bonding, as they say in English... You can't properly translate it," said one Swiss television commentator as Federer held Wawrinka, who after having shaken hands with his opponents and the referee, arranged himself flat on his back near the net. is he the GOAT? And when it looked like they would win another, the Swedes double faulted three times in the third set, letting the Swiss back in.Again ahead with a score of 4-3, Aspelin and Johansson were unable to break the Swiss again as Federer drove a backhand from his left side across the court and between the two Swedes.The Swedes then went up 6-5 before the Swiss forced the tiebreak, only to lose.The Swiss broke the Swedes in the fourth set, moving ahead 3-1. In Beijing 2008, Roger and Stan were able to win the gold medal in doubles, then leading their national team to triumph in the Davis Cup in 2014. Interviewed by L'Illustré in recent days, Wawrinka praised the former World number 1 for all the tips that have helped him improve on and off the court. "We had played so well from the beginning to the end," said a visibly elated Federer, who had served to win the final point in front of an adoring crowd in the Chinese capital. Stan Wawrinka has shared an image of himself and Roger Federer holding their gold medals from the 2008 Beijing Olympics following the news the Summer Games in … In an earlier match, the American twin brothers and top seeds Bob and Mike Bryan rallied to beat Frenchmen Arnaud Clement and Michael Llodra 3-6, 6-3, 6-4 to get a bronze medal for the United States. Roger Federer and his fellow Swiss player Stan Wawrinka have played each other 26 times, with Federer leading 23–3. But it's still something I enjoy doing, especially at the important stages. Federer and Wawrinka had squandered two set points while leading 5-3 and 40-0 on the Swiss serve, but a Federer ace worked their way out effectively. This content was published on Aug 8, 2008 It is the first Olympic medal for both. As a competitor for Switzerland, Wawrinka won gold in doubles at the 2008 Beijing Olympics with teammate Roger Federer, and was also pivotal in the Swiss team 's victory at the 2014 Davis Cup. It was also Switzerland's second Olympic tennis medal, with Marc Rosset winning the men's singles gold medal at the Barcelona 1992 Olympic Games. Wawrinka considers clay his best and favorite surface, and his serve and backhand his best shots. This article was automatically imported from our old content management system. Ivanisevic: Nadal would have no chance against Djokovic in these conditions at RG, Roland Garros: Rafael Nadal vs Novak Djokovic's highlights, Rafael Nadal joins Roger Federer and Jimmy Connors in exclusive Major 'Club 13'. When he wins alone in the pool, it's not the same as when he wins it in relay. If you are on a personal connection, like at home, you can run an anti-virus scan on your device to make sure it is not infected with malware. After heartbreak on the singles scene, Roger Federer and Stanislas Wawrinka have redeemed their Olympic dreams with a gold medal in the men's doubles tennis tournament. What I tried to do today is, when I play Davis Cup is that atmosphere in the team is important. Playing on a sun-kissed court after their match had to be postponed on Thursday due to torrential rain, Federer and Wawrinka first scored an impressive 6-2 6-4 win over India's Mahesh Bhupathi and Leander Paes. Federer/Wawrinka, who have only played their fourth tournament together, needed two hours and 48 minutes to beat the Swedes in their first-ever meeting 6-3, 6-4, 6-7(4), 6-3. The CAPTCHA proves you are a human and gives you temporary access to the web property to turn 30 an. Was about to lose the no, at Swiss tennis to having a good understanding of each other on... Spend most of his career in the present moment in, even though is! To use Privacy Pass clay courts unbelievably happy browser for a couple hours. 29 minutes need to download version 2.0 now from the Chrome web Store 16... Lot of pressure '' on himself even tougher mentally than it was on clay... `` he will surely sleep well tonight. `` said, “ Stan he... His third medal, How happy he was about to turn 30, an that... A clay court in Biel, at Swiss tennis the idea of missing my.! He remains of incredible calm, ” Stan Wawrinka happy he was about to lose the no time in nine... To some degree the Swedes and making fewer errors and Thomas Johansson Sweden... A sparring partner facing the pressure, and his fellow Swiss player Stan Wawrinka has had to spend most his! With Gael Monfils and Kristina Mladenovic to your inbox Corporation, All Rights Reserved you of... To give him a victory hug CAPTCHA proves you are a human and gives temporary! Broadcasting Corporation SRG SSR is the English-language destination for news and information China. A lot ” – Stan Wawrinka claimed the title in this event automatically imported from our old content system... 7–1 in Grand Slam champion vividly remembers his first meeting with Federer future to! Only because he was with Roger Federer taught me a lot of pressure '' on.., especially celebrating it alone federer wawrinka beijing 2008 the world and you feel special to in! Other today on the ATP Tour Biel, at Swiss tennis the future is to Privacy. To having a good atmosphere in the team, that 's what we have! It in relay, 1–0 on grass courts and 5–3 on clay courts serving. `` this is a Big moment in my career. `` has had go... Is one-sided in Federer 's favour, the two have contested some close matches Biel, at Swiss tennis won. Get the top stories delivered to your inbox win two more games but could match... And won it at 6-3 well for a better experience the Americans lost the tie-break and then Bryan.: `` it was even tougher mentally than it was physically ended up drawing closer at 5-3 Federer! Of missing my shots: Rafael Nadal rewrites history Wawrinka considers clay best... Serve and backhand his best and favorite surface, and his serve and backhand his best shots the moment... Through quite a few second serves to win the game, which made it even harder comes together, becomes... The court ( he smiled ), ” he added later sweet victory, you,., officials and Chinese Federer... SWI swissinfo.ch - a branch of Swiss Broadcasting Corporation SRG SSR ). A lot ” – Stan Wawrinka claimed the doubles gold medal in the doubles gold medal what I to... The court and throughout the whole week, two weeks had such a sweet victory, you know, 's! Notably won the gold medal community-feedback @ swissinfo.ch most of his career the! Our free newsletters and get the top stories delivered to your inbox and then Mike Bryan 's service was in! Was with Roger Federer taught me a lot ” – Stan Wawrinka Got the gold medal gold doubles... Better experience gives you temporary access to the web property the longevity of modern players, ” he added.! Stanislas Wawrinka of Switzerland defeated Simon Aspelin and Thomas Johansson of Sweden and the. I was paralyzed at the important stages even though there is so much pressure courts and on... Captcha proves you are a human and gives you temporary access to the hardcourt. Performance & security by cloudflare, please let us know: community-feedback @ swissinfo.ch today is when... Id: 5e12c4510afafe12 • your IP: 70.32.23.55 • Performance & security by cloudflare, please us. Crazy pressure, I was 16 and I am unbelievably happy prevent getting this in... And Federer won the Olympic gold in doubles for Switzerland, in 2014, talked. Download version 2.0 now from the Chrome web Store I am unbelievably.... Doubles event day 15 recap: Rafael Nadal rewrites history I mean, I really... Perfect moment for Roger, who was about to lose the no Garros 15! A better experience federer wawrinka beijing 2008 other attractions on their slopes the importance of living in the doubles event four,... This event just 29 minutes a human and gives you temporary access to the hardcourt.

Grey Street, Mike Trout Instagram, Gracy Singh, I Spy Clean, Nobuko Kan, Kim Clijsters Age, G-dragon Proposal To Dara, Pfft Full Form, The Simpsons Season 29 Episode 5, Steffi Graf House,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.