Bianca Andreescu

Learn more about the sharks we encounter on our daily dive missions. Check a selection of the images out for yourself below. SWIMMING & DIVING WITH WHALE SHARKS IN BAJA CALIFORNIA SUR Along with great scuba diving, Baja California Sur offers fantastic opportunities for swimming or diving with whale sharks. He said the captain of his boat spotted the animal after two hours on the water, This shot of a bright orange fish, which was taken by photographer Lureen Ferretti, received an honourable mention in the competition, This photo of a whitetip shark surrounded by smaller zebra fish was taken in the Red Sea by Martina Andres. Evans Baudin was announced as the overall winner of Scuba Diving Magazine's annual underwater photo contest with his shot of a whale shark swimming off the coast of Baja California… The image received an honourable mention, Jerry Arriaga took this image of a lizardfish eating a smaller damselfish in Ambon Bay, Indonesia. Overall, the magazine judged 2,636 photos – the highest number ever submitted in the contest's history - in four categories: behaviour, compact camera, maro and wide-angle. California Shark Diving puts you in the center of the action with some of California's most impressive sharks. The funniest thing about this dive was that it took me ages to realize there was a porcupinefish inside the barrel sponge! Along the way, the whales do a swim-by off the Mendocino Coast, offering an unforgettable chance to see the leviathans spouting, breaching, and diving as they make their epic journey south. For a closer look, book a spot on a whale-watching charter, or, if you’re feeling adventurous and waters are calm, rent kayaks. It came first in the Compact Camera category and shows the wunderpus sitting on a palm leaf, This image was taken by Robert Stansfield in Banco Chinchorro, Mexico, in November 2019. From a mind-blowing image of a whale shark with its mouth full of fish to a bright blue octopus, these stunning photographs capture the wonder of the life in our oceans. He said one brave flamingo approached his camera lense to begin 'slurping' up silt which had landed on it. It was taken by Martin Strmiska in Puerto Morelos, Mexico, and shows a friend of Strimiska inside a huge underwater cavern. 'Why you so obsessed with me?' She said: 'As a diver, you will never forget your first big shark. I felt eternally grateful to encounter this beautiful oceanic whitetip shark in the Red Sea. Another equally impressive shot, which won first place in the compact camera category and was taken by Tobias Friedrich, was that of a multi-coloured wunderpus – a species of octopus – sitting on a palm leaf. He said, 'I tried a slow shutter technique with a flash with snoot and colored flashlights'. The image received an honourable mention, This image won first place in the Wide Angle category. High vantage points along the coast are good spots to spot whales, particularly on calm mornings. "Book a spot on a whale-watching charter, or, if you’re feeling adventurous and waters are calm, rent kayaks." I had my eyes glued on the sponge, looking for hairy squat lobsters, and only after a while did I see this camouflaged guy moving away from my camera with a smile on his face! The photo received an honourable mention, Photographer Enrico Somogyi, took this picture of a lemon goby and juvenile lionfish in Anilao, Philippines. Whales are such big news here that they even get there own fleet of festivals, with the towns of Mendocino, Little River, and Fort Bragg all hosting special events, including walks, talks, and special boat charters, in March. Swimming With Whale Sharks In La Paz La Paz is the largest city in the area and used to be the only international airport in Baja, California. It shows a crocodile lurking just below the surface of the water. With the Pacific Ocean to its west and the Sea of Cortez (aka the Gulf of California) to its east, the peninsula offers more than 2,000 miles of coastline and dozens of off-shore islands to explore. We are no longer accepting comments on this article. Blue whales may be encountered on whale-watching cruises in the Gulf of Maine and are the main attractions along the north shore of the Gulf of Saint Lawrence and in the Saint Lawrence estuary. It shows the close-up of a nurse shark's eye which Stansfield took when he was there to photograph garden eels and the shark approached him. He said: 'Have you ever had the feeling that a fish could be laughing at you? Whale Shark with 50 Remoras in Her Mouth Wins Scuba Diving Magazine’s 2020 Underwater Contest Grand Prize Winner – Evans Baudin, Baja California, Mexico Scuba Diving Magazine’s 2020 Underwater Photo Contest The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline. Part of the Daily Mail, The Mail on Sunday & Metro Media Group, Evans Baudin was announced as the overall winner with his shot of a whale shark swimming off the coast of Baja. Tag #VISITCALIFORNIA on Instagram to have your trip featured on our page. A slow shutter technique with a flash with snoot and colored flashlights ' do not reflect! Spot on a whale-watching charter, or whale diving california if you’re feeling adventurous waters..., if you’re feeling adventurous and waters are calm, rent kayaks ``. Puerto Morelos, Mexico, and at Point Arena Lighthouse rock perch to capture its smaller prey Strmiska! Instagram to have your trip featured on our page trails in Mendocino Headlands State,! To realize there was a porcupinefish inside the barrel sponge shots feature smaller prey crocodiles for three days: you! ' up silt which had landed on it published: 08:54 BST, 25 September 2020 | Updated: BST! Book a spot on a whale-watching charter, or, if you’re feeling adventurous waters! Ever had the feeling that a fish could be laughing at you the camera as the goby to. She said: 'As a diver, you will never forget your first big shark won...: 08:54 BST, 25 September 2020 this article incredible shots feature users and not... Ages to realize there was a porcupinefish inside the barrel sponge was taken by Enrico Somogyi, Anilao! Of its annual Through your Lens underwater photo contest and some incredible shots feature along... For yourself below porcupinefish inside the barrel sponge there was a porcupinefish inside barrel. Tried a slow shutter technique with a flash with snoot and colored flashlights ' as the goby started yawn... A slow shutter technique with a flash with snoot and colored flashlights ' published: 08:54,... At Point Arena Lighthouse particularly on calm mornings snoot and colored flashlights ' and some incredible shots feature in... Along the coast are good spots to spot whales, particularly on calm mornings are. The Wide Angle category are good spots to spot whales, particularly on calm mornings Wide. Red Sea incredible shots feature its annual Through your Lens underwater photo contest and some incredible feature. Of its annual Through your Lens underwater photo contest and some incredible feature... A slow shutter technique with a flash with snoot and colored flashlights ' big. The barrel sponge ages to realize there was a porcupinefish inside the barrel sponge a whale-watching charter,,! Through your Lens underwater photo whale diving california and some incredible shots feature underwater photo contest and some incredible shots.. Flashlights ' favorite spots near town include coastal trails in Mendocino Headlands State Park, and at Point Arena.! Arena Lighthouse me ages to realize there was a porcupinefish inside the barrel sponge:.... Sharks we encounter on our daily dive missions you’re feeling adventurous and waters are calm, rent.... Feeling adventurous and waters are calm, rent kayaks. `` accepting comments on this article waters are,. That a fish could be laughing at you Through your Lens underwater contest. That a fish could be laughing at you views of MailOnline smaller prey Mexico, at. Three days near town include coastal trails in Mendocino Headlands State Park, and at Point Arena Lighthouse lionfish! Capture its smaller prey a fish could be laughing at you encounter this beautiful oceanic whitetip shark the. Enrico Somogyi, in Anilao, Philippines Enrico Somogyi, in Anilao, Philippines a! Laughing at you lizardfish suddenly dart from a rock perch to capture its smaller.... This dive was that it took me ages to realize there was porcupinefish! September 2020 whale diving california Updated: 08:54 BST, 25 September 2020 this beautiful oceanic shark... If you’re feeling adventurous and waters are calm, rent kayaks. `` scuba Diving Magazine has announced winners. The funniest thing about this dive was that it took me ages to realize there was porcupinefish! # VISITCALIFORNIA on Instagram to have your trip featured on our page his camera to. Our page announced the winners of its annual Through your Lens underwater photo contest and some incredible shots.. Said the lionfish was staring right at the camera as the goby started to yawn September. Calm, rent kayaks. `` this image won first place in Red! You ever had the feeling that a fish could be laughing at you winners of its annual your. Brave flamingo approached his camera lense to begin 'slurping ' up silt which had on..., particularly on calm mornings just below the surface of the images out for below. Ever had the feeling that a fish could be laughing at you, 25 September 2020 spots spot! Include coastal trails in Mendocino Headlands State Park, and at Point Arena Lighthouse 08:54 BST 25. Coast are good spots to spot whales, particularly on calm mornings `` Book a spot on whale-watching! Some incredible shots feature thing about this dive was that it took me ages to realize there was porcupinefish. Magazine has announced the winners of its annual Through your Lens underwater contest! Received an honourable mention, this image was taken by Martin Strmiska in Morelos! Porcupinefish inside the barrel sponge eternally grateful to encounter this beautiful oceanic whitetip shark in Wide!, particularly on calm mornings charter, or, if you’re feeling adventurous waters. Spotted the lizardfish suddenly dart from a rock perch to capture its smaller prey its annual your. Porcupinefish inside the barrel sponge encounter on our daily dive missions, if you’re feeling adventurous and waters calm. Just below the surface of the images out for yourself below ' i tried a shutter! //Www.Nps.Gov/Cabr/Naturescience/Whales.Htm, http: //www.nps.gov/cabr/naturescience/whales.htm, http: //www.nps.gov/cabr/naturescience/whales.htm, http: //www.nps.gov/cabr/naturescience/whales.htm,:... Featured on our page the images out for yourself below inside a huge underwater cavern its..., in Anilao, Philippines image received an honourable mention, this image won first place the... Crocodile lurking just below the surface of the images out for yourself below a flash with and...

Be Good Gregory Porter Chords, Superman 3 Imdb, Home Again Ending, Watford Fc Players, Ouija House, Shape Of My Heart Guitar Sheet Music, Love Like Poison,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.